1. What is the purpose of this website?
This website is a critical first step for The
2. Why are you releasing this information?
We understand people have questions about our support of well-being scientific research and third party engagement. We are committed to, and are delivering on, the actions highlighted in Muhtar Kent's August 20th, 2015 Op-Ed in the Wall Street Journal. This website aims to provide clarity and transparency. We update this site every six months.
3. What does the word “partnership” mean in this list?
For purposes of this list, we use the term ‘partnership’ in reference to our relationships with U.S.-based organizations that have received funding from
4. What is your new contribution total?
We have provided $138.3 million to support well-being scientific research, health-related programming and healthcare professionals since 2010. This six-month update to our report reflects $2.6 million since our last report in grants and funding to support well-being partnerships and $0.3 million to support well-being scientific research.
5. Does The
Our past support of well-being related scientific research produced scientifically valid results, but we’ve recognized an opportunity to avoid some of the questions that result when we are the sole funder.
In early 2016, we began to implement a set of new guiding principles that define how our Company will provide financial support for well-being scientific research and partnerships. Please click here for more information.
6. Why did you develop these new principles for research and partnership?
We developed new guidelines to help us evaluate and define our support of well-being scientific research and partnerships. While our previous support produced scientifically valid research results, we recognized an opportunity to avoid some of the questions that result when we are the sole funder.
For more information, please click here.
7. Does this mean that you will no longer need to report funding of well-being scientific research and third party engagement on your transparency website?
No, we will continue to provide regular updates on our funding of well-being scientific research and partnerships that meet the inclusion criteria outlined in the Transparency disclosure.
8. How do the new guiding principles apply to funding for well-being scientific research and third party engagement?
The new guiding principles serve as our roadmap for well-being scientific research and partnerships. They define our engagement and ensure that our intentions are sufficiently clear and transparent. All future well-being related partnerships will be evaluated against the new guidelines.
9. Why do you still have some items in your current disclosure list that are incongruent with the new guiding principles?
The application of these new guidelines across our organization is ongoing.
We will continue to disclose all funding of well-being scientific research and partnerships that meet our inclusion criteria on this website. This website is updated at six month intervals.
10. Why do you continue to support research at all?
11. When you publish your funding efforts on your website, what assurance do we have that the list is complete?
We have made a good-faith effort to disclose all funding that meets the inclusion criteria. If we have omitted something that meets those criteria, we will disclose it in one of our future updates, which we plan to provide every six months.
12. Why does
We provided funding to support such organizations through The
In early 2016, we began to implement a new set of guiding principles that define how our Company will provide financial support of well-being scientific research and partnerships. Please click here for more information.
13. Do you expect the organizations that received financial support from
No. Funding is provided on an unconditional basis to support the mission and goals of the organization.
14. What is the Balance Calories Initiative?
In September 2014, The